2/11/2017

A Survival Guide for the Introvert for CSM: Tips for Surviving and Thriving at Large Conferences

As I have mentioned in a few previous posts, I am an introvert. My coworkers, classmates, and acquaintances might disagree, but my family and friends know that I really, truly, and passionately am an introvert at my core. I would like to share a little about how I survive large events as an introvert so that I might be able to give the tools to fellow introverts in order to not miss out on the awesome opportunities that CSM and other conferences can provide to us as physical therapists.

First, let me start by emphasizing that I think that the terms introvert and extrovert get mixed up a lot, as they are not descriptions based on how you act, but descriptions based on how you recharge and like to spend your "me time." I love nothing more than a fresh cup of coffee and a new book in a quiet space. I will always opt to stay home and watch a movie rather than going out to see one at the theater. I avoid eating out on weekend nights due to the busy surrounding tables, noise, and often long wait to be seated. I minimize my interactions with others to strictly digital mediums as I am able to on my days off in order to be ready to face another week at work, where I work with...you guessed it! People.

I am most likely getting two reactions right now from two different kinds of folks. The introverts thinking, "That is so me... How do you survive a large conference if you can't handle crowds?" and the extroverts exclaiming, "That is so not me... How do you survive a large conference if you can't handle crowds?" In this blog post, I will explore a few of the survival habits I have at conferences, such as the upcoming CSM, so that you introverts can take good care of yourself and you extroverts can take better care of the introverts you love.

So here they are: my top 6 techniques for not only surviving but thriving at conferences in order to maximize you time spent there, but also maximizing how you take care of yourself once you are there.

  1. Take scheduled breaks. When you register for a conference, they usually have a sequence of events and have you sign up for sessions. When I do this, I build in purposeful breaks throughout my day, and I take them whether I think I need them or not. This keeps me moving forward and able to participate in things that I need to attend later in the day. I also consider meals to be breaks. I plan out ahead of time where I will eat so I have a game plan of what I am eating and how to get there so I feel a little more control in this crazy short time in my life. It also helps fuel my self talk such as "You can do this... Only 30 more minutes until lunch and then you can chill." 
  2. Take unscheduled breaks as your body tells you that you need them. Sometimes your body may be telling you that you need your space at an inopportune time. Since conferences typically derail your normal biological clock (sleeping at weird times, eating different foods, not following your normal workout routine), the introvert in you can also be disrupted by those innate changes. When I attend a conference, I always label which sessions I MUST go to, which I WANT to go to, and which are OKAY TO MISS in the event I need to disappear.  By pre-labeling my sessions as such, I don't feel guilty when I need to find a quiet corner to think or go back to my room to take a nap, as I already pre-filtered them as a non-essential. 
  3. Be unashamed of your need for space. I used to apologize for needing rest and sneaking away. I used to make up excuses for bouncing out of events early, and now I am able to be more honest with people about my actions. I have found that people react just fine when I respond to their questions with, "Large crowds wear me out so I went to take a nap to recharge." Normally they reply with a "Man I wish I took a nap! I am so tired!" You might just be the trend-setter that leads to scheduled naps among your squad at these shin-digs. I know I have instigated a couple already. 
  4. Stick to your normal habits as much as possible. Like I mentioned in bullet point 2, conferences throw your normal internal clock for a complete loop. Stick to your habits as they have gotten you to this point so far. If you go to bed at 9pm, then go to bed at 9pm during the conference, regardless of what is planned at that time. If you normally have a protein shake every morning, then bring your ingredients (as travel restrictions allow) to continue that ritual. I have a friend who is an ultra-marathon runner and she will get up early to get her run in before the start of the activities to keep herself moving and firing like normal. I also only room with people who I know have the same habits as me (need for quiet, early riser, early to bed, etc) in order to ensure I can stay at my best for this event. If I can't find a comparable roommate, I eat the cost and pay for a room for myself. It is more expensive, but I am paying to be able to participate more fully in this already expensive experience. 
  5. Know that by taking care of yourself, you are allowing yourself to participate more fully in the conference events. Your need to go take a nap mid-day is not a sign laziness, you are simply recharging so you are able to attend a later, more important event. I used to feel really guilty breaking away form my group to take some personal time, but now I know that doing so allows me to interact with them on a more quality level, since I am not a walking zombie as the day carries on. 
  6. Hang out with someone who will look out for your introvert self. Often times, my friends and coworkers start to notice that my energy is draining before I do. As I always have an internal dialog running, I don't always notice when I become less talkative... But those around me do. The people you surround yourself with can point out to you when you need a breaks sometimes before you even realize it, and they can help you regulate yourself before you spiral towards the safety of your inner (very cozy!) turtle shell. This tip is particularly important to me. When my now-fiancĂ©e and I went to Disneyland, he was able to point out when I needed a break (usually I stopped talking for a bit and then got cranky because I was tired/hungry/whatever), and then we took a break together to just sit on a bench, drink some water, and eat a churro. It led to a more quality experience for both of us, as the whole point of the visit was to spend quality time together anyway. 
By following these "rules," I feel that I am able to participate more fully in the conference experience (or any experience resulting in a crowd-level attendance). I am able to be outgoing andsocial on a more quality level, leading to meaningful interactions. Said interactions are able to occur on my terms, thus allowing me to feel more in-control of a sometimes, and mostly, out of a control situation. I hope my fellow introverts will be able to attend CSM in a more powerful and meaningful way to continue to foster your professional growth by using these pieces of advice.

Forever an introvert,
Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Why I Introduce Myself as Heidi, Doctor of Physical Therapy

A really hot topic in today's field continues to be the use of "doctor" as a descriptor for those of us that hold a DPT degree...