12/23/2016

Anatomy of a Blog Post: From Abstract Creativity to the Internet

I have been hosting this blog for nearly half a year now, and I have had a few questions about my creative processes, so I figured I would write a post on how to create a post. I resisted the urge to call it "Post-ception" as I didn't want any copyright issues popping up, but corny title aside, I am writing about how I write. I have had a formula that I discovered early on in high school and has carried me through graduate school and beyond. Thankfully for me, it works for both creative and formal writing pieces, so I am sticking to it! Here goes:

  1. It all starts with a single sentence or phrase. It might not be the title, it might not be the thesis, and it might not even be the most poignant part of my post, but it serves as a spark for the flame of creativity. I type it out first, bold it, and keep coming back to it throughout my writing. It keeps me grounded and on-topic. 
  2. I don't write chronologically. To prove my point, this is actually the bullet point that I wrote last. I move throughout the the text, editing as I go and rearranging as I see fit. Usually the paragraph that I write in the last half of my time spent is the first paragraph of my post, which makes sense to me because by then I know the tone of the entire post and can write a more appropriate introduction to set the stage for the drama I create. 
  3. I often write several posts at once. Right now I have 3 windows open for 3 different topics. As I come up with ideas, I realize that an idea I am developing in one post is better off as it's own idea. While this may seem a little scattered, it lets my mind move fluidly and unhindered, allowing the creative juices to spill from my mind and onto the page. 
  4. I listen to music that inspires me and take frequent dance/singing breaks. I have participated in both of these arts and I feel that by letting my mind do what it wants like an ADHD child, I am able to articulate my thoughts more crisply. The soundtrack of Hamilton has been my main inspiration as of late. Sia's new album is another I like to jam to as I type.
  5. I don't always finish in one sitting, but most of the time I do. The times that I do walk away from it and stew are the times when I don't get beyond more than a paragraph. I learned to abandon topics that aren't coming easily to the paper (or word doc) early before I invest a lot of precious time into them. If it isn't flowing from my finger tips, the topic either isn't ready or it isn't made to be. And I am okay with that fact. I don't sit down to write until I have at least a few hours to dedicate to the task. I have been known to sit for hours until 20 page term papers are done. I also wrote my literature review, as well as my thesis for DPT school, in one sitting. This time is of course interspersed with random dance/jam breaks. 
  6. I let ideas sit in my brain for weeks on occasion before setting aside time for the activity of writing it out. I really capitalize on the concept of subconscious processing to allow more ideas to form. The longer I wait, the faster I am able to write. 
  7. I dress for the occasion. If I am writing a professionally invigorating post, I wear business casual. Seeing as this is more of a creative post, I am currently wearing my mermaid yoga pants, a brand new haircut, a punk band shirt, and a single sock. It's odd, but it's working for me currently. 
  8. I edit very minimally. I look at spelling and grammar, clarify confusing statements, and delete duplicate thoughts. I really only make the adjustments my editor requests, as I know that my process helps with a lot of the other issues authors run into.
Creative people are often seen as inherently quirky, and I suppose the way that I approach writing a blog is much the same way. Seeing as Van Gogh chopped off his ear and Darwin married his cousin, I think I am in a pretty good place. If you are looking to understand more habits of creative people, the Huffington Post write a neat article explaining several things that highly creative people do different. It might help explain a lot about your abstract relatives or even give you a few ideas on how to foster your own creative spark! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Why I Introduce Myself as Heidi, Doctor of Physical Therapy

A really hot topic in today's field continues to be the use of "doctor" as a descriptor for those of us that hold a DPT degree...