7/18/2016

I took the NPTE...now what?

Dear Reader,

You are taking the boards this week...Congrats! You have officially made it through one of the toughest parts of your academic career and are about to take the ultimate test of your PT knowledge. It's also most likely to be one of the most stressful moments of your life. I mean, you've prepped for around 3 years. You've taken almost every practice test you could get your hands on. You've paid out the ass to even get to this point. You've memorized what both O'Sullivan and Giles have to say about the test format. You are ready, my friend!

But what happens after you finish the test? After 5 grueling hours your body is fatigued, confused, and battered. It might seem like impending doom is just around the corner. You thought you were going to rock it, but now you aren't so sure...How do you cope with this identity crisis??? Lots of blogs and articles tell you about how to prepare for the test, but most fail to mention the after-effects of such an event.

Here are some very helpful tips for taking care of your mind and body after completing the NPTE:

  1. Leave the testing center with your head held-high. You amazing person. Not only did you just take what might have been the hardest exam of your LIFE, but you also woke up, got dress, and dragged your ass out of bed even though you knew that a great challenge laid ahead. For that, I salute you. You should already see yourself as a winner just for facing the day you have been dreading for years. You are courageous, you matter, and you ROCK! 
  2. Set a specific time to review materials and then WALK AWAY. I know that it is all too temping to sit down with the the Scorebuilders book after the test and re-read the whole damn thing, but DON'T. Pick 5 topics you want to look over before leaving the testing center. Give yourself 30 or so minutes to leaf through your notes once you leave, but not a second more. If you don't have enough control to self-regulate this, then get a friend to physically remove you from your materials and provide a distraction. There is no harm in a little friendly redirection in this situation. Otherwise,you might spend hours agonizing over what you cannot control and has already been done. Walk away. Move on. And don't torture yourself over things you cannot change. 
  3. Re-hydrate. Even if you drank enough water before the test and used your scheduled break for  water/bathroom trip, you will still be dehydrated due to the high stress your body was under during that time. Drink water and juice/sports drink/whatever to replenish those electrolytes and fluids. Avoid alcohol as it can only further dehydrate you. Your body has just experienced a mass metabolic freak out and replacing the water in your body allows for it to continue to facilitate those chemical reactions to calm itself down.
  4. Refuel. Everyone talks about bringing a snack for during the test, but you should also bring one for after the exam as well. Sitting and thinking for 5 hours, even with the occasional water or bathroom break is mentally taxing. While your butt is planted, your brain has been running a marathon and needs to replenish itself. Bring a carbohydrate snack to help recuperate your noggin. Also, eating it before you leave to drive home is a great idea for both your and everyone else's safety on the road. 
  5. Reward yourself. Look, pass or fail you have just accomplished a feat that not many other college grads can say they have. Passing PT school, prepping for the test, and sitting through the exam is no joke. You have earned a reward for all the effort you have put into this moment. If you are on a specific diet, reward yourself with a post-test cheat meal. Or maybe go out and buy that new PS4 game you've wanted. Utilize a little retail therapy at the mall. Get a pedicure/manicure. Buy items for PokemonGo! Pick something based on pure lusting want, and not a basic need. Also, give yourself a big pat on the back while doing it. 
  6. Stay the hell away from social media and other people who have taken the test. Don't let your classmates or friends rile you up. Everyone and their sister is a nervous Ned coming out of that exam. It's all too tempting to ask your friend about what they answered on certain questions, so don't put yourself in that situation. Not only is this illegal, but it also keeps your body in a constant state of stress, making it impossible to calm yourself down and allow your body and mind to heal. Also, go dark on social media for a while. Ignore the panic. Give yourself some time to get your own emotions under control before immersing yourself into the land of web. This is something that I practiced for the majority of my major exams in PT school as I had several classmates that would work each other up into a frenzy. Not only was their ritual detrimental to my cool, but it was also annoying as hell to witness. 
  7. Have a Post-Test Game Plan. You can incorporate the above tips into an overall plan for the rest of your day. Don't let yourself aimlessly wander through textbook after textbook, only to find discrepancies that make you even more nervous. Do something else! Go for a run to get out your jitters (after you re-hydrate and refuel please!). Volunteer at a local animal shelter for the added stress relief of doing something productive, but also being around adorable baby animals! Go home and play video games until your eyes bleed. Download PokemonGo and find out what all the hype is about! I really could care less what your plan is (unless its illegal...then don't!), but just have something else to do to take your mind off of the test.
This is how I managed my post-test stress: Because the size of the town my school was in was so small, I had to travel to take my test. I got there the night before, had a good dinner and went to bed early. I got up early and got to the testing center. After taking the test I already had a game plan for what I was to do next. I scoped out an IHOP right next to the testing center and had my cheat meal for the day right then and there without shame. Then I drove to a neighboring town to visit with my best friend's grandmother whom I hadn't seen in three years. Once I arrived, it was time for lunch, so I snacked throughout the meal and chatted with a whole host of people. One person I met was a WWII veteran who stormed the beaches of Normandy. Talk about a reality check. Suddenly my life seemed pretty damn good as I had this unexpected stranger suddenly put everything into perspective for me. I drove home that afternoon, went for a run, had dinner with a friend for a few hours, and headed to bed early. Other than driving a few hours to take a super expensive test, it was kind of business as usual for me. Once I returned home I kept up my normal evening routine, which helped make the previous day feel like a really weird dream sequence the next morning. I then managed to ignore the majority of my classmates who had taken the exam for the next week until scores were posted. I was able to successfully calm myself down, and I wanted to stay that way as I had a thesis defense as well as a graduation ceremony coming up, for which I didn't want to be sick. For me, my program allowed us to take the test in April, and we still had courses flanking the exam, so I was able to fall right back into my routine of classes, work, and research without falter. This really helped make the transition back to "normal" a lot more seamless. 

Bottom line guys, YOU GOT THIS! No matter what happens in that test, stick to your routine and grab an accountability buddy if you think that you might have a hard time with that. A little structure after such a chaotic 5 hours can go a long way in taking care of yourself. Listen to your body and don't be afraid to be a little selfish after CRUSHING the test. 

Your Colleague, 

Heidi S Moyer, PT, DPT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Why I Introduce Myself as Heidi, Doctor of Physical Therapy

A really hot topic in today's field continues to be the use of "doctor" as a descriptor for those of us that hold a DPT degree...